Friday, July 13, 2012

More Greek Food!

After I made the yummy Baba Ghanoush and Pita Bread, I started getting a hankering for Falafel.  Falafel is a work of art in my opinion.  In fact, I recently had it at My Big Fat Greek Restaurant here in Colorado Springs and was left disappointed and wanting.  Isn't the food at restaurants supposed to be better than what you could make at home?  Apparently not, because this recipe completely TRUMPED my experience at My Big Fat Greek Restaurant.

Sean's Falafel 
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 egg
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1 dash pepper
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup dry bread crumbs
oil for frying


1 (6 ounce) container plain yogurt
1/2 cucumber - peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon mayonnaise

  • Directions
  1. In a large bowl mash chickpeas until thick and pasty; don't use a blender, as the consistency will be too thin. In a blender, process onion, parsley and garlic until smooth. Stir into mashed chickpeas.
  2. In a small bowl combine egg, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, cayenne, lemon juice and baking powder. Stir into chickpea mixture along with olive oil. Slowly add bread crumbs until mixture is not sticky but will hold together; add more or less bread crumbs, as needed. Form 8 balls and then flatten into patties.
  3. Heat 1 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry patties in hot oil until brown on both sides.
  4. In a small bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, dill, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Chill for at least 30 minutes.

If you're expecting a blog with AMAZING photo's with perfect lighting, you've come to the wrong place.  Sometimes I will actually have sweet photo's from taken with my Canon Rebel XTI, but most recently a LOT of my photos are  being taken with my iPhone.  Sometimes a girl has to focus on hanging with her girly rather than spending time getting the best photo shot for a blog. :)

No comments: