Thursday, July 12, 2012

I'm BAAAAACK!!!!

Is it really possible that I haven't posted since JANUARY?!!!  What a SLACKER!!!!!  What have I been doing with my time you ask?  The usual, cooking and forgetting to take pictures of the yummy food I have made, playing on pinterest, raising my daughter, riding 100 miles on my bike for cancer research, getting ready to move cross country.  I've been busy. :)

I decided to get my blog back going because I am tired of making SWEET recipes and then forgetting where I got the recipe or what things I did to mess it up and make it better.  So BrokenYolks is back in business!!! If you read my blog, AWESOME, if you don't...then I have a GREAT means of tracking my cooking exploits.

Have you ever eaten at Garbanzo's?  That place is the Mediterranean/Greek equivalent to Cafe Rio, healthy, fresh ingredients.  Unfortunately, the closest Garbanzo to me is on the other side of town and I have a hard time justifying the expense of gas to get yummy Greek food...ESPECIALLY when I can make it myself at home!!!  I found a KILLER recipe for Baba Ghanoush and Pita Bread from KING ARTHUR FLOUR!!!  Can you believe it?  A flour company has a great recipe for Baba Ghanoush?!

Pita Bread:
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 teaspoons King Arthur Easy-Roll Dough Improver (I totally didn't use this)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil



  • Directions:
  • 1) Combine all of the ingredients, mixing to form a shaggy dough.
  • 2) Knead the dough, by hand (10 minutes) or by mixer (5 minutes) or by bread machine (set on the dough cycle) till it's smooth.
  • 3) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, and allow it to rest for 1 hour; it'll become quite puffy, though it may not double in bulk. If you've used a bread machine, simply let the machine complete its cycle.
  • 4) Turn the dough onto a lightly oiled work surface and divide it into 8 pieces.
  • 5) Roll two to four of the pieces into 6" circles (the number of pieces depends on how many rolled-out pieces at a time can fit on your baking sheet).
  • 6) Place the circles on a lightly greased baking sheet and allow them to rest, uncovered, for 15 minutes, while you preheat your oven to 500°F. (Keep the unrolled pieces of dough covered. Roll out the next batch while the first batch bakes.)
  • 7) Place the baking sheet on the lowest rack in your oven, and bake the pitas for 5 minutes; they should puff up. (If they haven't puffed up, wait a minute or so longer. If they still haven't puffed, your oven isn't hot enough; raise the heat for the next batch.)
  • 8) Transfer the baking sheet to your oven's middle-to-top rack and bake for an additional 2 minutes, or until the pitas have browned.
  • 9) Remove the pitas from the oven, wrap them in a clean dishtowel (this keeps them soft), and repeat with the remaining dough.
  • 10) Store cooled pitas in an airtight container or plastic bag.
Baba Ghanoush:
1 large eggplant (about 1 pound)
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup tahini paste1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Wash the eggplant and char the outside. You can do this on a grill, or directly over the flame on a gas stove. Turn the eggplant so each section of its skin gets blackened and crusty.
  • 2. After the skin is charred, transfer the eggplant to a pie plate and bake it for 20 minutes, until it's quite soft. Remove from the oven and cool.
  • 3. Place the unpeeled garlic cloves in a small baking dish with the olive oil. Roast the cloves for 10 minutes in the oven with the eggplant until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool; peel the cloves and save the olive oil.
  • 4. Peel the eggplant and put the flesh in the bowl of a food processor. Add the tahini, lemon juice, salt, roasted garlic, and the oil in which the garlic roasted.
  • 5. Puree the mixture until smooth; taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more lemon juice or tahini as desired. Serve at room tmperature with chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil on top.

No comments: