Friday, August 15, 2008

PESTO!!!

I came across a recipe for pesto that kind of surprised me. I have made regular pesto, citrus pesto...but I have never made pesto with BUTTER. Yes, butter. I went to lunch this week with a business associate that told me she had a recipe for pesto that called for butter in addition to olive oil. An Italian friend of hers gave her the recipe years ago and it is the only recipe she uses.
As many of you know, I am not good at growing much...except for BASIL. I grow basil from seed each spring and it inhabits my living room and front porch throughout the summer months. Fortunately for me, my basil is ready for harvest. I LOVE basil. On one of my first dates with Alex I was cutting up basil and noticed it made my fingers smell so fragrant. I had to share my experience with Alex and turned to him and exclaimed, 'Smell my fingers!' Needless to say, it completely endeared me to him. :) Remember that! my single friends!

Pesto:
4 cups coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 cup pine nuts
½ cup olive oil
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
½ stick unsalted butter, cut into bits and softened
2 crushed garlic cloves

In a food processor puree all the ingredients

Transfer to a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent discoloring. The pesto keeps covered and chilled for up to 2 weeks.


I made a half batch because I wanted to save some of my basil for other purposes than pesto and it made enough for tonight's recipe and left overs for another meal. This is a pretty decent recipe. I think I will stick with my regular old recipe that only calls for olive oil. I think the butter only added fat and not enough taste to make it worth the calories.

No comments: