Monday, August 18, 2008

Back to School

My youngest step sister is starting her first year of college at the end of the month...that got me thinking about my college years. I was an industrious college student. I went to school full time, I worked full time, I owned a house and was a landlord...phew! How did I survive?! RAMEN NOODLES!!!!!

Who doesn't live on ramen noodles when they are in college? After a while you get tired of the same old, same old so I got creative.

Spicy Chinese Ramen Noodles:
1 package ramen noodles
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 cups cabbage (I normally use packaged cabbage, but cut up cabbage is just as good and cheaper!!!)
Pinch or two of salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger - in a pinch you can use ground ginger, but combine it with the oil to make sure it gets distributed throughout the dish.
1/2 teaspoon crush garlic
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup chopped cashews

Cook the package of ramen noodles until soft. Toss the flavor packet. Using the flavor packets makes the noodles WAY too salty. Drain noodles and set aside. Heat oil in frying pan and add chopped cabbage. Cook until soft. Add ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Mix all together until well combined. Add noodles and cashews. Mix until combined and serve!

This recipe ROCKS!!! It is total comfort food. Stand by for additional ramen noodles recipes!

No comments: