Friday, March 21, 2014

Healthy Dessert? Or Chocolate Guacamole?

I saw a friend post a comment on Facebook about chocolate pudding made out of avocados...NO LIE!  I was so appalled by this idea I had to call her out...and then get the recipe because I had to try it out.  Alex gets pretty jazzed about pudding and has me purchase boxes of it when I go to the grocery store, so I thought it would be fun to surprise him with this recipe and not tell him about the main ingredient.  He was stoked when he came home from work and saw the bowl of pudding in the refrigerator...so was my four year old.  I had the HARDEST time not spilling the beans, but I needed to ensure he gave me his opinion before he knew what was in it.  The funniest part was that he started dipping tortilla chips in it after the first bite...that was when I fell into a fit of laughter and told him he was eating chocolate guacamole.  LOL!!!  My daughter LOVED IT...which is pretty funny because she does NOT like avocados.  They were the first food I gave her as an infant and even then she was not keen on them.

I was on the boarder with this recipe.  It was good, but heavy, which is probably a good thing because you don't eat as much as you would if it was a milk based pudding.  Because it was made with the bitter chocolate, it was also very decadent...not to mention the coconut milk and avocados. But seriously, try this recipe out and discover for yourself whether you like it or not.

Chocolate Avocado Pudding:
2 large avocados, peeled, pit removed and cubed
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder - I am partial to Hershey's
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pinch cinnamon

Blend avocados, cocoa powder, brown sugar, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in blender until smooth.  Refrigerate pudding until chilled, about 30 minutes.


No comments: