Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lesson Learned!

Crash and burn!  Not really something you want to read in a cooking blog.  Some people put signs for no solicitation on their front door, but I should have a sign that reads, 'Upon entering this house you agree to be a guinea pig for all food concoctions that enter your mouth.'  Oh yes, I even invited people over to my house for this one.

Come friends, come to my house and learn to make pizza...ON THE GRILL!!!  Oh, it will be spectacular!  Nice smokey flavor, melted cheese, grills marks on the pizza dough!  Guess what I learned about grilling pizza?  DON'T DO IT ON A CHARCOAL GRILL WITH HOT COALS!!!! Know what ELSE I learned?  don't put olive oil on the dough before you put it on the grill.  Oh yeah, I did that too. 
I had seen this recipe cooked on a gas grill a week ago, I grilled pizza dough using my indoor grill pan, but I hadn't made this recipe on a charcoal grill.  Thank goodness I had extra dough.  I was able to recover by using my indoor grill pan, but didn't have a lid big enough to cover it once I had the toppings on so I found myself...oh the shame...I MICROWAVED  it so the cheese would melt.  *sigh*  Pure embarrassment.  LOL!!!

Now don't discount this recipe because I am a schmuck!  When it was made it on a gas grill it turned out really good!

Grilled Veggie Pizza
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1/4 of a white onion
1/2 red pepper
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil - or regular olive oil
1 loaf of Rhoades frozen bread
1 cup mozzarella cheese

Defrost bread according to package instructions.  Slice zucchini and yellow squash into thin equal size pieces. Cut onion into half moons and red pepper into small bite sized pieces.  Place cut veggies into bowl and toss with Italian seasoning, olive oil and cheese.  At this point you can put the veggies in a grill basket or you can saute them in a pan on the stove top.

Roll out dough and shape by preference.  Grill on low heat for 3-5 minutes on each side.  Take off grill and load up with veggie and cheese mixture.  Put back on covered grill until cheese is melted.
Grilled pizza is fun and creative.  Learn from my mistakes and enjoy! :)  And to my friends...thanks for continuing to be my friend after this fiasco!

No comments: