Saturday, June 25, 2011

Another 40th Birthday Cake!

I am NOT a cake decorator by any stretch of the imagination.  I just enjoy making and decorating cakes.  It's a fun creative outlet that is SUPER tasty! 
I recently had a friend turn 40 and I offered to make her a birthday cake.  I searched online for some ideas, because I don't have any original ideas when it comes to decorating cakes.  :)  I really wanted to find something that was girlie, but included a skull.  This design was a WINNER!  I loved the little grim reaper and the daisies.  For the life of me, I can't find the site I got this design from so I can reference it.  

I am always in search of new fondant recipes so I thought I would try the following recipe instead of the corn syrup one I have used in the past. 

Basic Fondant Recipe
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
¾ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
2/3; cup sweetened condensed milk
5 cups sifted confectioners sugar (+ 1 cup for work surface)
 
Beat butter, vanilla, and salt together until soft.  Add condensed milk slowly and beat until mixture is very light.  Add the confectioners' sugar cup-by-cup.  Dust your work surface with an extra cup of confectioners sugar.  Turn your fondant mixture out onto the work surface and work the powdered sugar in with your hands.

My biggest complaint with the corn syrup fondant is the consistency and the way it gets shiny after applied on the cake.  I was hoping this recipe would offer a better consistency, but it was nearly IDENTICAL to the corn syrup version.  This recipe didn't taste anywhere near as good as the corn syrup version.  It was like a combination of the corn syrup and the marshmallow version.  I'd don't think I'll use it again since I got similar results to the corn syrup without getting a better taste. 

My daughter's birthday is coming up and I have purchased the Duff brand of fondant because I have heard some GREAT reviews about his fondant.  I'll keep you posted!

No comments: