Sunday, September 21, 2008

Stuffed Zucchini

I am a ROCKSTAR!!! I am not good at 'making up' recipes. I'm not always good at following recipes when it comes down to it. :) But today, I created a KILLER recipe for stuffed zucchini. I am fortunate enough to have a co-worker that has zucchini in her garden and is willing to bring them to me so I can cook yummy things.

I was up in the air on what to use the zucchini for and opted for dinner instead of zucchini bread. Alex made some stuffed zucchini a while back that was pretty yummy. There are a LOT of versions of stuffed zucchini out there and I wanted a little from each of them so I had no other choice....I had to make my own. Here it is.

Stuffed Zucchini:
2 links spicy Italian sausage, removed from their casings
2 medium zucchini, cut in half evenly
1 small onion
2 teaspoons garlic
1 large jalapeno, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups wild rice, cooked
3/4 cup mozzarella
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon oregano
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cook up the sausage links in a frying pan on medium heat until crumbling. Push sausage over to the far side of the pan (you can totally take the sausage out of the pan...I just didn't want to have to clean an additional bowl), add a teaspoon of olive oil to the opposite side of the pan and saute up the onions and garlic until translucent. Add jalapeno with or without the seeds to the onions (I had originally wanted red peppers, but I forgot to grab some at the store and had to go with what I had). Mix in onion mixture with cooked sausage. Add wild rice, mixing well and take off the burner to cool.
Scoop out the seeds from the zucchini so there is a little ravine in the zucchini to stuff the yummy goodness in. Sprinkle with a little olive oil and Salt and Pepper. Place in 350 F oven for 7 minutes.
Add mozzarella, parsley and oregano to the rice mixture. Stuff zucchini with sausage, rice mixture to over flowing. Cook for 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Meg said...

So you ARE a total ROCKSTAR! Way to go with this one! It looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

I love the play by play of creating the stuffed zucchini. They look awesome!

imjacobsmom said...

Yes, you Rock! This sounds delish! I'm making this tomorrow! ~ Robyn