Monday, September 22, 2008

Pumpkin Drop Biscuits

I finally made it to the store to get me some pumpkin puree so I could make the Pumpkin Drop Biscuits from Megan's Munchies blog. Well worth the trip to the grocery store. I had a couple of mishaps while I was making the biscuits and I was certain I had destroyed the recipe, only to find that they weren't bad at all.

Instead of using the gluten free all purpose baking mix I opted for what I had on hand, Bisquick. I was a little nervous about the substitution because I'm not really sure the difference between Bisquick and gluten free all purpose baking mix. Initially I added 1 1/2 cups of Bisquick and couldn't understand why the batter was so runny. I added the additional cup of Bisquick and thought my problem was solved, but the batter was still runny like cupcake batter. I didn't want to throw out the mix because it had that pumpkin goodness in it, so I threw it into my trusty pumpkin cupcake tin and baked according to the instructions.
Pumpkin Drop Biscuits:
makes 12 biscuits
2 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose baking mix
2 cups skim milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 tablespoon water
Mix baking mix, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
Stir in pumpkin, milk, and water until all is moist.
Drop into 12 heaps onto baking sheet prepared with non-stick spray.
Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. If tops start to brown too fast, reduce heat to 375 degrees for the last 5 minutes.
FANTABULOUS!!!! These turned out pretty yummy for a recipe I thought I botched. The next time I make this, I am going to reduce the amount of milk. There is a recipe for drop biscuits on the side of the Bisquick box that I would mimic to give these more of a biscuit consistency. I LOVE the flavor of this recipe. I took these babies into work today and my co-workers LOVED them!

Look how cute this cupcake/biscuit looks? There is something to said about eating food that looks good. This just screams, 'I am yummy pumpkin goodness. Open your mouth and eat me!' O.K., so I talk to my food and it talks back to me...What's a girl going to do?

2 comments:

Meg said...

Your bicuit/cupcakes look so good. Much cuter than mine! You know I was looking at other recipes for pumpkin biscuits and some of them called for nonfat dry milk powder. That would definitely make them more bicuit like. I think I will try adding less milk next time like you suggested.

Meg said...

Ok..sorry for all the random ways I spelled biscuit in my last post...lol. I shouldn't try to type this early in the morning!!!