Thursday, July 21, 2011

This is a KEEPER!

I LOVE Chinese food!  Let me clarify, I LOVE Chinese take out.  However, I am pretty wary when it comes to finding a new take out joint because of MSG issues and the super fried factor.  I found a pretty sweet recipe for Sweet and Sour Sauce on Allrecipes.com.  I was a little nervous because the last recipe for Chinese food I pulled from Allrecipes.com was HORRIBLE, despite all the great reviews (which could very well be a result of the chef...i.e., ME). The sweet and sour sauces you get at regular Chinese restaurants is a cherry red, this sauce is the color of whiskey.  This makes a sweet and tangy sweet and sour sauce.  I TOTALLY prefer this to the stuff you get at take out restaurants. 

Sweet and Sour Sauce:
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons cornstarch 

Place the sugar, vinegar, water, soy sauce, ketchup and cornstarch in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Stir continuously until the mixture has thickened. 


I poured this over pan seared cubes of chicken breast over rice.  Even my picky two year old LOVED this sauce!!!


No comments: