Thursday, July 21, 2011

Corn Bread Heaven!!!

Alex came home with leftover smoked BBQ beef brisket from a work party last week.  What goes with BBQ'd beef brisket? Besides coleslaw and baked beans?  CORN BREAD!!!!  I have tried several recipes and find most of them quite bland, especially the one on the Quaker corn bread package.  BLECH!  I'm not totally sure what steered me to the following recipe, but I am GLAD I tried it out.  I don't think I will make another corn bread...EVER!

Reader beware...this recipe actually calls for mayonnaise.  I was pretty squeamish about it too, but I put my faith in the good folks of Tennessee that they wouldn't steer me wrong when it comes to corn bread.  And they didn't.  I HIGHLY suggest using a heavy dutch over skillet for this recipe.  Put some canola oil in the bottom of the pan and I PROMISE you won't be disappointed!!!!  I didn't have buttermilk when I made this recipe so I used regular milk and added a Tablespoon of lemon juice to curdle the milk.  


You know what is the BEST part about this recipe?  It's gluten free!!!

West Tennessee Corn Bread:
1 egg
1/4 mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt  

In a mixing bowl, beat the egg, mayonnaise, buttermilk and oil until smooth. Combine the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and beat just until combined. Grease an ovenproof 6-in. skillet or round baking dish; dust with cornmeal. Add batter. Bake at 425 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. 

No comments: