Thursday, July 21, 2011

Salmon Salad with Balsamic Reduction as a dressing

Several months back I took my daughter to the Children's Museum in Pueblo, Colorado.  Pueblo is a pretty small town so you wouldn't imagine they'd have a cool Children's Museum let alone a SWEET cafeteria that serves gourmet meals.  I ordered at a window that reminded me of Mel's Diner from the t.v. show Alice and quite honestly didn't expect much from the salmon salad I ordered.  I was happily surprised when my salad arrived.  It was loaded with lettuce, salmon, tomatoes, carrots and...a balsamic reduction salad dressing that was TO DIE FOR!!!!!  Why don't I come up with idea's like this when I'm cooking?!

The dressing was sharp, but full of HUGE amounts of flavor.  It wasn't think like a buttermilk based dressing or runny like a vinaigrette, it was...PERFECT!  I have made this recipe a couple of times and it really doesn't do justice to the reduction at the Children's Museum.  In the meantime, I'll take it!

Balsamic Reduction:
1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 garlic clove, crushed

Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan, and add the crushed garlic; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the vinegar has reduced to 1/4 cup. Set aside, and cool to room temperature.

No comments: