Friday, February 22, 2013

Tikka Masala II

Have I told you how much I LOVE Paratha? Well, now I am cooking meals with the intent of eating paratha.  It has been a long while since I cooked Tikka Masala so I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com that looked promising.

This was a phenomenal recipe!  But this recipe calls for WAAAAAAAY too much salt.  I felt there was too much when I started out so I halved it and it was STILL WAAAY too much salt.  I am feeling concerned for the author of this recipe and think it might be a good idea for them to visit their doctor.  I would use tops, a half teaspoon for the marinade and sauce each.

Tikka Masala
1 cup yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons freshly ground ginger
4 teaspoons salt or to taste - SERIOUSLY....CUT BACK!!!
3 chicken breasts cut into cubes.

1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
3 teaspoons salt - MORE LIKE 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream - I used half and half it turn out GREAT!
1/4 cup chopped cilantro.

In large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger and salt - REMEMBER TO CUT BACK!!!! Stir in chicken, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat grill for high heat.

Lightly oil the grill grate.  Thread chicken onto skewers and discard marinade.  Grill until juices run clear.  About 5 minutes each side.

Melt butter in large heavy skillet over medium heat.  Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika and salt - MINIMAL SALT!  I used 1 tsp and it was still WAY too much! Stir in tomato sauce and cream.  Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.  Add grilled chicken and simmer for 10 minutes.  Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with fresh cilantro.

I really liked this Tikka Masala.  It was so flavorful...minus the over use of the salt.  I still can't believe the author of this recipe called for this much salt.  I served this up with a side of the yummy Pakistani chickpeas I made a couple of weeks ago.  SO YUMMY!!!

No comments: