Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Harvest Time - APPLES!

This weekend we went to Happy Apple Farms in Penrose, Colorado picked apples.  What an awesome experience.  You get to pretend you live on a farm, walk out to the orchard and pick some yummy apples.  For those who want to enhance their experience...they have tractor rides to the orchard.  The best part of this fantasy...when you are tired and hot and want to stop...you can.  :)

When we got home, I was on the hunt for apple recipes.  What is sweet, smooth, can be spread over nice warm bread and reminds you of fall?  APPLE BUTTER!  Be forewarned, Apple Butter does not have actual butter in it.  Apple Butter is extremely well cooked apples mashed into the consistency of jam.  A couple of recipes I saw actually called for apple sauce instead of apples...I guess if your lazy...just kidding.  Whatever it takes for you to make this yummy concoction. 

I found this recipe on GroupRecipes.com.  This is a new web site for me and I was pretty skeptical, but the recipe ROCKED!  A MUST HAVE tool is an apple peeler. 

Yes, it looks like a medievil torture tool.  As a result, you should keep tabs on where your hands are while using it so you don't lose a digit or more likely, cut yourself.

Place the apple on the prongs and twist the crank so it approaches the peeler and CRANK!
The peeler with peel, core and cut the apple into a nice spiral.  You can also remove the knife that cuts the apple into a spiral so it only peels and cores the apple.


Apple Butter in the Crock Pot
12 medium Granny Smith or other cooking apples peeled and cut into fourths

1-1/2 cup packed brown sugar shopping list
1/2 cup apple juice shopping list
1 teaspoon ground allspice shopping list
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
1/2 teaspoons ground cloves shopping list
 
Mix all ingredients in crock pot. 
 
Cover and cook on low for 10 hours (I put it on high for 5 hours and stirred it occassionally so it didn't burn around the edges).  Mash apples with potato masher or large fork.  Cook uncovered on low for 2 hours stirring occasionally until mixture is very thick.  Cool 2 hours.  Spoon apple butter into container. 
 
Cover and store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
 
The apples we picked were not Granny Smith apples, but worked just fine.  I suspect the taste with Granny Smith's would be AWESOME!  Alex and I tried this out on toast, but I was dreaming of freshly baked homemade bread.  I DIG the flavor of this recipe over variations I have made in the past.  I'm planning on making this as Christmas presents for friends.
 
HAPPY HARVEST!

1 comment:

What's Cookin' with Mary? said...

this sounds so good! never thought to make my own. love that you use the crockpot.