Friday, September 11, 2009

Stay at Home Mom...so much time for cooking!

Alex and I are getting settled in our new digs. We really like the house and LOVE the neighborhood. We actually have deer that come into our backyard! Check it out!These guys come in the evening to feast on our neighbors garden. They are making me think twice about planting a garden next spring...Hopefully our dogs can keep them at bay. LOL!

As a result of giving birth and moving...I have become a stay-at-home mom. I will wait for the laughing to subside. Yes, for those who know me, this is pretty comical. I have always been the career, working girl with ambitions that would take me to the moon and back...and now I stay at home and make my husbands lunch in the morning. An added bonus to the stay-at-home mom thing is I get more time to cook! WHOOHOO!!!! Each week I am scouring the net in search of new fun recipes with the full intent of posting all our yummy meals here. I have to tell you all...the reason I started this blog was so I could show off to my father the new dishes I was cooking. He loves to cook and we like to call each other and brag about the good stuff we make. Now that we live far away...we need it even more.

O.K., let's get past all the nostalgia and get to cooking! I was searching out chicken recipes because I got a raging deal on chicken breasts at Safeway and scored this recipe from Tarts and Calories.

Roasted Chicken and Corn Chowder:
2 cups shredded roasted chicken - instead of purchasing a rotisserie chicken, I baked my chicken breasts in the oven at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
1 red pepper, diced
1 potato, diced
2 strips bacon, sliced in 1-inch pieces
1 tsp dried thyme
3 cups frozen corn
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups milk
1 tbsp Tabasco
2 limes
Salt

Cilantro for garnish

In
a large stock pot, fry the bacon until crispy and the fat renders out. Scoop out the bacon and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Into the pot of yummy, yummy bacon fat, add the potatoes, pepper and corn. Cook for five minutes and add in the stock, milk, thyme and Tabasco sauce. Bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes until potatoes are tender. Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture. I left it a little chunky in this case, but it's up to you how smooth you'd like it. If you don't own an immersion blender, use a regular one and just puree half of it, if you want a rustic texture.

Then toss in the chicken, bacon pieces and the juice of one lime. Season with desired amount of salt. Garnish bowl with another squeeze of lime and some cilantro. I added a little bit of white onion and garlic to this recipe...because lets face it...what isn't made better with a little onion and garlic? I also left out the thyme because I thought we had some and realized too late that we didn't. I made Alex do my grocery shopping this week and he scored me nice thick pieces of bacon...this recipe is worth making just to smell the bacon cooking in the pan. Oh goodness!!!! I was going to forgo using the immersion blender on half the soup, but when I added everything it needed something to thicken it up, so I gave in. It turned out pretty good.

So the stove top in the house that Alex and I purchased has one temperature...high! It doesn't matter what you set the temperature to it always cooks it at high. I set the temperature to below medium and went to change Kate's diaper and came back to a boiling pan that was almost overflowing. YIKES! I can't wait to get our new gas stove!

Overall, I think this was a decent recipe. Alex told me more bacon would make it better. :) Next time I try this one I am going to play with it a little.

No comments: