Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Weekend with My SWEETIE!

Alex and I had a killer weekend doing my favorite thing...hangin' out with eachother.

We started the weekend off with a midnight bike ride on Antelope Island. We started Friday night at 10:30 p.m. and rode 22 miles from the Marina to Garr Ranch and back in an hour and a half.

Check out our cute riding jersey's! Alex was Super Grover...otherwise known as Super G...and I was Curious George in space! Alex looks so cute in his jersey, I can't stand it!

Saturday Alex and I went to Deer Valley to see the Utah Symphony perform the 1812 Overture. This is my FAVORITE performance of the summer outdoor concert series. In addition to the great music, they have cannons that boom and echo in the background.

This is the last season that Keith Lockhart will be the artistic director of the Utah Symphony. I have to say, I am pretty broken about it. He has brought so much to our stuffy old symphony. He brought 'Pops' to the mountains. They performed pieces by Leonard Bernstein, Aaron Copeland, John Williams, Leroy Anderson and tributes to Billy Joel and Elvis Presley. Keith Lockhart sang 'I can't stop falling in love'...it was SOOOOO COOL!!!

For the occassion we put together a fantastic picnic to eat on the mountain side as we listened to the music. We had a pre-roasted chicken from the grocery store, fresh cherries and blueberries, and a baguette with brie and blue cheese. It turned out that Alex and the whole chicken...save a bite he gave me and I ate the bread and cheese. Dessert was my 'How to Score a Husband Cookies'. That's not really the name, but that's what Alex and I call them...can you guess why? I made these cookies for my second date with Alex. He was so impressed, he proposed.

This is Williams Sonoma recipe with a fun twist on plain old chocolate chip cookies. These babies are anything, but healthy...but taste oh so yummy!




Tiny Chocolate Chunk and Toffee Cookies
(otherwise known as "How to Score a Husband Cookies"):
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
6 oz. semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
1 cup (5 oz.) chopped chocolate-covered toffee

Preheat an oven to 375°F. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter and vanilla. Using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Then mix in the chocolate and toffee. Spoon the batter by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes, switching the pans and rotating a half turn halfway through baking. Transfer the cookies to racks to cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.

Makes about 40 cookies.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Lifestyles Series, After Dinner, by Kristine Kidd (Time-Life Books, 1998).

No comments: